Friday, October 27, 2006

Momma Said There Would Be Days Like This!

Hello All,

Well, we have had some interesting days this last week. Perfectly normal things that happen everywhere happen here, but are intensified due to their close proximity to one another and because Carlos is in Morocco. It has made for some stress in our lives, but God has faithfully held us together and met all of our needs.

The first story begins on Wednesday. We were going to pick up Renae from school for her lunch hour. On the way, the car began to overheat. We stopped in a parking lot, put some water in the reservoir and continued on our way. The problem continued and we decided just to get Renae, and try to make our way home. Every half a mile or so, we had to stop the car to put more water in the reservoir. It was raining very hard so it was hard to tell where a leak was happening but we knew the radiator was not getting what it needed.

We made it home so the kids could have lunch and then it was off to the mechanic. Thankfully, Domingo Avila, the "First Elder Of Calvario De Jerez," was available to take me to the mechanic. We dropped off the car with Antonio the mechanic, who quickly informed me that the car needed a new radiator and that it would be ready the next day.

So many things were going through my mind at the time. How can we afford this? How can we get Renae to and from school? I had several other questions and plans. But God had better plans. Domingo had an additional day off and Lela had checked and our finances were going to make it and actually leave us with a small cushion for the month.

On that same afternoon, the water was turned off due to street repairs, the electricity went out for an hour, torrential rains not dissimilar from the rains of Noah's day fell upon Jerez so the kids were all cooped up for the entire day! But hey we had that little cushion. Then I was printing off my notes when the ink from my printer went out! There went that cushion!

And then the coup de' grace. Thursdays are a wonderful day of celebration for me. I have always loved Thursdays. They mean that a great bulk of studying is over and I can begin fresh on a new message. So, Thursday night we decided to celebrate at Carrefour Norte (Europe's version of a Wal-Mart superstore) and their McDonalds. After having dinner, we went into Carrefour to get our shopping done. We were in line and Caleb decided to run out from the line beyond the security poles. As he went, I reached for him and the security pole alarm went off.

The checker quickly inspected my son's hands and found that he was clean, but the alarms kept going off. IT WAS ME! Soon the eyes of a thousand Spaniards are all on me. The lady calmly processed our stuff, but the security guards made their way around our family, just in case we would attempt a quick getaway. After the food was put into the cart, one of the security guards came up to me and said, "Caballero..." I did not understand the next words, but I knew they meant come with me!

So, he led me to this investigation room, where I am sure all the hardened criminals of Jerez have been "cuffed and stuffed!" Then, as I am in the room with Security Guard #1, a second guard comes in. I am thinking at this point, "Oh great! Here comes the 'Good Cop/Bad Cop' routine!" Then my thoughts turned to whether or not I had holey socks on...

Meanwhile, Lela was sitting outside getting ready to call the American embassy and trying to figure out how to bake a cake with a file in it when she has no oven!

What was it? A bar code from America that was inadvertedly left in my wallet! Suffice it to say, it was funny afterward. Those poor security guards thought that they had brought down one of "America's Most Wanted" and all they got to show for it was an American bar code from some CD!

So, that was our week. God kept us through all and He was faithful to meet our every need, though we presently have 2 euros left! I wonder if Paul ever had these kinds of troubles...Actually, with that in mind, we had a pretty great week!

Blessings To The Friends Of Spain,
Frank Sanchez

No comments: