Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Starting Over vs. Starting Fresh

Hello All,

I have been thinking about the difference between these two perspectives. At first, they sound synonymous, but I believe that there are subtle differences. Starting over has a negative connotation, while starting fresh is much more positive. To me, it's akin to the sayings, "I am cleaning my slate," versus, "I have a new slate." Does that make sense? Maybe not! But the point is simple: I don't want to leave behind what I have learned in my previous experiences, as though they are not applicable now. I don't want to erase them and become a different person. I want the Lord to redeem them and allow me to write a new, fresh perspective that will hopefully bring a blessing for Calvary Laguna. At Redlands or in Jerez, what I have learned, positively or negatively, has affected me positively! God has worked out things for good in my life, and what I have learned, experienced and come to know must now come to bear on my new situation in Laguna.

I get to start fresh, do things right, learn to avoid bad decisions by making good ones. I get that opportunity every day and I am very thankful. Past relationship issues don't come into play here. I have all new fresh relationships, each with the potential to be hazardous, but with more potential to be wondrous! I am truly blessed!

My new situation has afforded me with the opportunity to reflect upon my relationship with the Lord. I find that this new slate phenomenon happens with the Lord as well.

"This I recall to my mind, Therefore I have hope.
Through the Lord's mercies we are not consumed,
Because His compassions fail not.
They are new every morning;
Great is Your faithfulness."
Lamentations 3:20-23

Imagine having to start over with the Lord! I'd rather start fresh, each day with a new batch of His mercy!

I hope that you are living in that realization as well. His mercies are new every morning. Every day is an opportunity to write something new, to perpetuate the story that He intends to tell. With the Lord, we don't need a new circumstance. We simply need to be thankful for his mercy and grateful to have the opportunity to watch Him write the story before us.

It's wonderful to serve Him. There are definite challenges and serving anywhere will be exhausting at times. Tuesday night for example, I was falling asleep in my sushi because that day begins at 3:30 AM! But there is joy to be had when one realizes that we can start fresh each and every day of our lives.

Maybe the commute hasn't hit me yet (2 hours this evening!) or maybe I'm just overstating something that everybody knows and lives in the reality of. Maybe, I'm just grateful right now. That will be good enough for me.

Blessings...To Our Friends,
Frank Sanchez

No comments: