Sunday, February 10, 2008

Fearing & Faithing!

Hello All,

Well, when I said a few posts ago that I did not see any changes coming, I was at least half correct in that statement. However, our lack of ability to see does not mean that change isn't coming, and for our family, it is. This last week, we received sudden notice from Renae's school, informing us that due to class size limitations, Renae was being moved to another classroom, with another teacher. When Lela and I heard this, our hearts were heavy and sad, especially in light of her attachment to her teacher, but mostly because all Renae has known has been change.

Back in her first Kindergarten year, Renae went to three different schools and lived in three separate homes. One of those sets was in Spain, where the learning is the same, but the style of teaching is a bit different. Needless to say, when we decided to keep Renae in Kindergarten, it was her emotional needs that were forefront in our minds.

When I received the call from my wife on Thursday, Renae's difficult academic past was the first thought of my mind. I was immediately displeased, seeing as this decision came without any consultation of her parents. Then my displeasure led to my heart running toward the usual fearful conclusions that would almost inevitably occur because of this issue.

Thankfully, it was here that I at least gave some room, however small, to my faith. With the fear mounting, I allowed, in my mind and in my conversation, the truth that perhaps God was moving Renae to protect her. Maybe this move would be beneficial or some good would be had because of this move.

I have often talked about this concept in counseling, but admittedly, have not had to employ it very often, except when it comes to the kids. The concept is when confronted with fearful situations, as much as you might consider the worst outcome, you must combat that with what God can do. Our Bibles are testimonials to the fact that when you factor God into any equation, then the righteous ones are always benefitted. Someday, perhaps you would want to do a study on the Biblical phrase, "but God" and see what I mean.

Anyway, I began doing this, and all of a sudden, I felt centered and momentarily peaceful. I knew that I had to register my concerns with the Principal, and I did that immediately through email. I requested a meeting, thinking that perhaps that would help matters. I received word late Thursday that a meeting time would be extended to me. I began to pray, and ask the Lord for wisdom, discernment and authority. I emailed our Home Fellowship and asked them to join me in prayer, then asked my Mothers to enter into the spiritual fray.

Friday came, and I went into the meeting confident that I had the best case, and was just needing the Principal to hear my case. I was armed to the teeth, metaphorically speaking, with a great, well reasoned, well rehearsed argument. In case I needed some sentimental support, I even brought a letter from my wife.

The meeting itself was short and very cordial, though the result was certainly not to my liking. The Principal is convinced that this move is the best for Renae. While he may eventually be right, I am presently unconvinced and he knows that, as does Renae's teacher, who I talked with before I left the school grounds.

I left feeling pretty relieved, even though it did not end the way that I wanted it to. I reasoned that this move must be from the Lord, even if it was initiated in the mind of the school Principal. My relief though was a bit curious to me and it made me wonder. I had been so intent on the result, but in the process found that the result did not bring, nor rob me of peace. That came from a settlement in my soul that God was, and is working out an excellent plan for Renae, and our family.

As I mused further, I realized that there is a Bible story that speaks to this. David has been told that his child is going to die because of his sin with Bath-Sheba. David prays and fasts and he does so with great fervor until he is given the news that his child has died. At that point David gets all cleaned up and orders a big meal. The people who have been watching him over the last several days are perplexed as to the sudden mood change. David replies:

"And he said, 'While the child was alive, I fasted and wept; for I said, ‘Who can tell whether the Lord will be gracious to me, that the child may live?’ But now he is dead; why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me."
II Samuel 12:22,23

Yeah, that's what I think! Before the decision was made, or final, I pettitioned the Lord, asking, begging, etc. After the decision was made, I realized that this part of my pettitioning is over. Now, I rest and will wait for the next issue to come up. For now, my heart will rest in perfect peace, knowing that I did all that I was supposed to do for that moment.

Will Renae be alright? Will she succeed? Will this be a successful venture? Only time will tell. Thankfully, because I have chosen not to fret before or during, I know that I am free from it after the fact. I would ask you to pray for Renae, that this would indeed be a great move, and that God would open up doors of opportunity through this situation.

But more than anything, I want to score a victory for the Lord, who kept my heart focused on Him during this minor crisis. This does not always happen, but this time it did and I know that I have the Lord and our prayer warriors to thank.

Blessings...To Our Friends,
Frank Sanchez

4 comments:

Carrie Allen said...

Poor little Renae :(
I will be praying for her.

Please note that I am so encouraged to read from a dad who loves his daughter so much that he would go into the principal's office (without his wife!) to talk with him...seriously, that's rare.

And also, when I preached in chapel on Wednesday...I was all about the "But God"...yeeeah... :)

Frank And Lela said...

Carrie,

Thanks. I was actually a bit surprised by how swift I was in this! I guess it just had to be done.

By the way, I heard good things about the chapel from Chris. I prayed for you and was hoping that you had a great experience.

Talk to you soon!

Blessings,
F.S.

Patty said...

First of all I can't believe the principal couldn't have some compassion for this 6 yr old. I'd like to know what the reasoning was behind this decision. You are a better person than I for I am upset just hearing about this and want to take a meeting myself! I'll say one thing, Renae is sure learning the meaning of being flexible and just going where the Lord leads ya. I'm sure these experiences will transfer into great things as she grows in her faith.

hasta,
patty

Frank And Lela said...

Patty,

Well, I am not sure that it wasn't compassion that moved him in the first place. Compassion centered on her education, rather than her emotions. His belief was that she would thrive in a smaller classroom. My argument was that the emotional toll would at best, yield negligibly better results than if she remained under her teacher at the time.

I laid this out in the best most kindly diplomatic way. I left the conversation telling him that if it worked, that I would be just as quick to give compliments, as I was to complain.

The Jury is still out!

Blessings,
F.S.