Thursday, September 21, 2006

Excerpt From "Paul"



Hello All,

As many of you know about me, I love a good book, as much as I like a dumb book! Though I read often many different types of books, I always manage to return to Chuck Swindoll's works. I especially like his "Great Lives From God's Word" series, which are basically biographical sketches straight from the Word. My previous favorite was David, which in my opinion, is a classic. But I am currently reading Paul, and this section really stood out to me, so I thought I would share it with you. This comes from Chapter 4: The Necessity Of Solitude, Quietness, and Obscurity.

"In his splendid book Celebration of Discipline, Richard Foster writes words that penetrate: 'Superficiality is the curse of our age. The doctrine of instant satisfaction is a primary spiritual problem. The desperate need today is not for a greater number of intelligent people, or gifted people, but for deep people.' ... A life marked by depth can only be cultivated in protracted periods of time spent in solitude, quietness and obscurity - concepts foreign to those who live their lives at the speed of light...Stop and think for a moment. When was the last time you carved out time to be absolutely alone with God? You made arrangements for it. You set aside responsibilities and said no to things that would have filled your schedule, robbing you of any remaining time for quietness before the Lord. Can you remember? If you're like most, you'll have difficulty stating the last time you did that. Quite possibly, you've never considered taking time away to rearrange your private world, rethink your priorities, and simplify your life."

The rest of the chapter is a fantastic exploration into the concept of Paul's retreat into Arabia. But, just for us today, I pray that we can take some time and work some silence into our lives. Just like any relationship I know it takes time, but more so, the necessary commitment of our own hearts regarding it's necessity. For me sometimes, I just need to turn off the iPod or the car radio when I am driving. Perhaps even the late night movie.

I pray that you will consider checking out Swindoll's book, and more importantly, embracing this concept that he brings to life in it. I am sure that it will benefit each of us in our endeavor to be conformed into the image of Christ.

Blessings To The Friends Of Spain,
Frank Sanchez

1 comment:

Verhoeven5 said...

I agree with you wholeheartedly that a good book is hard to beat. This book on Paul is one of the best ever written, by Charles Swindoll or anyone else for that matter. It would be difficult to finish the book without a renewed sense of what God is calling each of us to as ministers and missionaries for Him, no matter where He calls us to serve. Let me know how you like the book when you're finished.

In His grace,
Paul Verhoeven