Friday, November 24, 2006

Thanksgiving At The Casco's

Hello All,

"The Spanish people do not have a Thanksgiving day equivalent." I thought, "Ok, maybe I'm not called here after all!" While I am not a big fan of Turkey, I am a big fan of sitting down to a huge feast! How could you not have Thanksgiving!? Well, thankfully, our friends, the Casco's, host Thanksgiving at their house, with almost all of the traditional food, plus a few Spanish and Ecuadorian treats. The celebration is very similar to an American Thanksgiving. Carlos reads a Psalm and talks a bit about the meaning of Thanksgiving. Then we all went around and talked about what we are thankful for. It was a fun time of fellowship and a blessing to be together. Our thanks to the Casco family for their wonderful hospitality. Special thanks to Yolanda Casco, whose food preparation was incredible. Now, here are a few pics from the evening:
Here is my lovely wife Lela with Carmen and Angel Avila. My daughter is quite taken with Angel and just prior to my taking the picture, she reached over and grabbed his hand! Sly little girl! I really need to get to work on that all girls Christian Convent!

What Thanksgiving Day celebration is complete without a kid's table!? Renae and Elizabeth enjoyed their Thanksgiving Cuisine at the Mini!

Here is the table fully laid out, with turkey, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, Ecuadorian stuffing and one of the largest sweet potatoes my wife had ever seen. My first thought was, "Alright, where is the food for everyone else!?"

Just a quick side note: I had to come to Spain to get my first taste of a sweet potato! Carmen prepared it and it was just delicious. I am now going to request a sweet potato every night! At least for a week or 2!



Here is my wife with our good friend Yolee, who is Pastor Carlos' daughter. Aside from being a fine singer and worship leader, she also is an incredible hair dresser. She has the exclusive haircutting rights to the entire Sanchez family over here in Spain! She has a strict "No Mullet" policy, which we are all thankful for!






Ah, the post food entertainment. Here is Juan on the left and Angel on the right. They are using the force to extinguish the candles. As you can see this was a futile effort as the force is not a real deal. So, they decided to use their fingers to pinch out the flames. Renae, not shown in the picture, was enthralled by this show of Spanish machismo. I am proud to say that despite suffering third degree burns, the boys were able to extinguish the flame. These type of events won't be held at the all girls Christian Convent!


We hope that you and yours had a fantastic Thanksgiving holiday.

Blessings To The Friends Of Spain,
Frank Sanchez

No comments: